Working with local schools and developing a schools-club link:
Local schools are a great recruiting ground for angling clubs so it is definitely worth spending time to make connections to help boost your membership.
Here’s some starter tips to assist you:
- Whilst speaking with office staff ask about their school newsletter, when it goes out and how local groups get information into it?
- Get on the phone and ask who would be the best person to assist promote club activities. Note that in secondary or grammar schools this is most likely to be a physical education teacher but may just be a keen teacher in the primary section who has a keen interest in angling.
- Map the local schools and gather the contact details – note that within 5km to the club is a good guide
- Meet with the nominated contact person if you can and discuss what promotional methods would work best in the school.
A key question to ask them for starters is whether angling is included in the school program and if not what does the school need to assist implement an angling programme? e.g equipment, lesson plans / resources, taster days or coaching clinics?
Ideas for School / Club Links
- Support a school program in your sport through the loan of equipment to the school, use of the club facility, provision of a coach to assist with lessons, provision of lesson plans or resources to assist
- Discounted club membership for staff and students.
- Invitation to interested teachers to attend a club coaching course or club open day.
- Involvement of club volunteers to speak at assembly, conduct clinics, assist at school sport days,coach school teams.
- Conduct of lunchtime activities.
- Provision of a club coach to assist with the school’s after school program if they have one, if they haven’t one can you establish one?
- Provision of club information through the school newsletter, noticeboards.
- Provision of leadership opportunities through the club to support vocational training.
- Use of the school office as a point of club registration (e.g. personnel to pick up registrations at the end of a nominated week).
- Establish from your current junior club members which school they attend and nominate suitable students to act as club ambassadors for your club e.g. speak at assembly, promote the start of the season and other relevant club events.
Click Here for a club checklist to use prior to going into a school to run a clinic or a coaching activity.